If you’re new to the TGA format and want to know about how to open TGA files on Windows 10, then today we are here with a detailed article on the same.
Also Read —> How to Open PES Files on Windows 10
What is the TGA File Format?
The TGA file extension stands for the “TrueVision Graphics Adapter” file and is a raster graphics format created by the company called TrueVision Inc (now belonging to Avid Technology).
For the unaware, raster graphics refer to the technique that represents a 2D image as a square pixel grid or rectangular matrix, thus making it possible to view the image on a display such as a computer monitor.
Files with the TGA file format are commonly used by people creating digital art as well as for texture details for 3-dimensional video games.
The TGA file format is also known as TrueVision TGA, TARGA, Targa Graphic File, or as TrueVision Graphics Adapter image file.
How to Open TGA Files on Windows 10?
Now that we explained to you about TGA files, let us also take you through the different methods that you can follow to open TGA files on computers and laptops.
Method 1: Use Adobe Photoshop to Open TGA Files on Windows 10
Adobe Photoshop is one of the most commonly used software to open TGA files.
Below is how you can open any file with TGA file format using Adobe Photoshop:
- Make sure that your computer already has the Adobe Photoshop software installed. Else, download Photoshop officially from here.
- Launch Adobe Photoshop on your computer.
- From the top menu bar, click on “File”.
- Now, from the drop-down that appears, click on “Open”.
- In the new window that pops up, select the “.TGA” file that you wish to open.
And that’s all. Now the Adobe Photoshop window will show the TGA file.
Method 2: Open TGA Files using TGA Viewer
If you do not wish to edit the TGA file and all you need to do is view it, then you can use the TGA Viewer software instead of Adobe Photoshop.
Below is how you can view TGA files using the TGA Viewer software for Windows for free.
- First of all, download and install the TGA Viewer software on your Windows computer from here.
- Once the installation is completed, launch the software on your computer.
- When the software launches, it will instantly ask you to pick the file to open.
- Select the TGA file and click on the “Open” button as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now, the software will open the TGA file that you selected above.
As we mentioned, you can only view TGA files using this software. If you wish to edit the TGA files, you have to choose alternatives such as Adobe Photoshop.
We hope you found this guide on how to open TGA files on Windows 10 easy to understand.
If you wish to ask any questions about TGA files, feel free to get in touch with us by leaving a comment below.